Fenn's Farm: 30 in 30



"Fenn's Farm"  8 x 10,  OIl on Linen Board

In Middlebury, CT the frozen pond is a popular place to practice ice hockey plays and gaze at the large orange barns and hills in the distance.  I went out today to paint up on a hill overlooking Southbury, and found cows, a red shed, very warm pungent manure, and lots of wind.  Alas, after being blown about sketching, I opted to sit in the car facing the subject, and paint en plein auto.  The temperature was due to hit 50, but with the wind howling, it felt like 30.  The creative juices froze.  I drove back down the hill to the dentist, and picked up the brush after dinner in a nice warm studio.


Comments

  1. I love it, en plein auto - a perfect winter farm setting - love the lines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your comment "en plein auto" - In Wisconsin when the temperature drops into the single digits or below zero I wonder if "out the window" counts? I enjoyed viewing all your art work, but I especially loved Day on the Lake - Day 5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan. I learned how to battle the elements in the Midwest! Detroit! Yes, "en plein picture window" counts in my book, especially if you don't have Sorel boots. Every day I look out the window at the kitchen sink and think, wow, look at the light, the sky, the trees--maybe today I'll paint it all.
      Happy Painting,
      Ellie

      Delete

Post a Comment